Nearby

Hide Nearby

That photo is no longer available.

OK

Photo Details

Street View
Date Taken
1947
Title
Hollywood Theater
Description
From Cinema Treasures: "When it opened in 1927, the Hollywood was Detroit's second-largest theater seating well over 3400 patrons. It was built for the Cohen Brothers at a cost of over $2 million and was situated nearly a mile west of the long-established downtown entertainment district, Grand Circus Park. The architect, Charles N. Agree, together with associate architects Graven & Mayger, designed this huge theater in the Spanish Renaissance style complete with a large balcony, stage, and orchestra pit, as well as a Barton organ. Its lobby was 60 feet tall, and the entire interior was full of multi-colored marble, gilded plasterwork, and valuable artwork. Its facade, with twin minaret-looking towers, soared over Fort Street, and it originally had a large vertical marquee. Its standard original marquee was intricately decorated with a rainbow colored neon-lit swirling pattern..." More at: http://cinematreasures.org/theater/2585/
User
erxn
Tags
movie theater,spanish renaissance architecture,barton organ
Source:
Flickr: Vanishing Movie Theaters - Don Lewis
Copyright:
Edit Info Edit Placement

Roll over the photo to see more detail

Next Photo
Previous Photo
Close Detail View