Login / Register
Try these popular cities instead:
What Was There
That photo is no longer available.
John Kottinger's barn was constructed in 1852 and later became Pleasanton's first jail. It is one of the few remaining adobe structures in the area and is the only building in Pleasanton to be designated by the National Register of Historic Buildings. Kottinger became the county's first Justice of the Peace in 1853. Since there were no public buildings at the time, Kottinger used his home for court and his barn for a jail. After criminals were convicted in Kottinger's courts, bandits waiting outside overcame the lawmen and helped the outlaws escape on horseback. Kottinger then had a tunnel built from the courthouse to the jail. Notable desperadoes such as Juaquin Murrietta, Juan Soto, and "Three Fingers" Jack Garcia were tried in Kottinger's court and escorted through the tunnel to jail. (Source: http://www.pleasantondowntown.net/pdfs/WalkingTourGuide.pdf)
Pleasanton Museum on Main
Roll over the photo to see more detail
Close Detail View